Cap and Batroc fight.
Cap finds Black Widow downloading stuff. She has a USB. We love USBs.
We are back in Washington, we see the skyline looking over Washington Monument and more. Then the base – Triskelion. It’s a building on Theodore Roosevelt Island, along the Potomac River in Washington DC. It is, of course, a CGI creation.
It’s taken from the comics, at least it was a SHIELD base in the Ultimates universe, a sort of updated Marvel Comics line (which a lot of the MCU takes its cues from).
Inside, the amazing lobby the Cleveland Museum of Art, 1150 East Boulevard, Cleveland. Cleveland was one of the main filming locations for the film.
We see Nick Fury. Played by Samuel L Jackson.
This is Jackson’s 6th appearance in the MCU. We last saw him in The Avengers (2012).
His office. Looks like a set.
Fury says he lost an eye when he trusted someone. This is still a mystery – how Fury lost his eye in the MCU has never been revealed.
Fury shows Cap his toys. Just lots of Helicarriers and Quinjets and stuff. Fury says Stark had a close up look at the old Helicarrier turbines. That happened in The Avengers (2012).
Cap then takes his bike and shield. It’s a Harley Davidson Softail Breakout.
He drives over Theodore Roosevelt Bridge.
And he goes to the Smithsonian, which is not the Smithsonian at all. It’s the Western Reserve Historical Society History Center. 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland.
The camera pans past (a replica of) The Spirit Of St Louis. It’s the vehicle Charles Lindbergh took on the first ever transatlantic flight in 1927. The real thing does live at the real Smithsonian.
Cap walks through the exhibition dedicated to him. The exhibition narrator is for some reason Gary Sinise.
We see a quote from President Matthew Ellis. He’s the fictional President in this world, and we saw him in Iron Man 3 (2013).
We see a photo of a scrawny young Steve Rogers, taken from the first film Captain America The First Avenger (2011).
Behind Cap in one shot, the exhibition talks about Azzano, Italy. It was the setting for a battle in Captain America The First Avenger (2011).
Then more from the first film. The Howling Commandos. Characters from the comics that made their way to the film. From left to right are:
- Jacques Dernier. He’s played by Bruno Ricci.
- Gaby Jones. He’s played by Derek Luke.
- Dum Dum Dugan, with the moustache. He’s played by Neal McDonough.
- In the middle, Cap.
- To Cap’s left, Bucky Barnes. Played by Sebastian Stan. We will see more of him.
- James Montgomery Falsworth. He’s played by JJ Feild.
- Jim Morita is the last one. He’s played by Kenneth Choi.
We last saw them all in Captain America The First Avenger (2011).
Narrator mentions HYDRA, the evil organisation that Cap fought in that first film.
Then some stock footage of Peggy Carter in 1953. She’s played by Hayley Atwell.
This is Atwell’s 2nd appearance in the MCU as Carter. We last saw her in Captain America The First Avenger (2011).
Peggy mentions her husband. This was is still a mystery. The Agent Carter series was supposed to solve this mystery but was cancelled.
Then Cap visits old Peggy. The location is a 1915 mansion on 2178 Harcourt Boulevard, Cleveland Heights.
Peggy would have been in her early 90s at this point.
The ageing effect is actual a combination of two performances. One is Atwell with no make up, mixed with an elderly woman acting the same role. The two appearances were then digitally mixed.
Not sure if Atwell’s aged voice is a digital effect. It’s very convincing.
At his office, Fury tries to open the USB.
- First hologram man we see is Councilman Rockwell. He’s played by Alan Dale. Dale is best known for his many years on the soap opera Neighbours. He’s also appeared in Indiana Jones And the Kingdom Of the Crystal Skull and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and is generally just one of ‘those’ guys.
- To his right, Councilwoman Hawley. Played by Jenny Agutter. We actually saw Hawley in the darkness, portrayed by Agutter, in The Avengers (2012), making it her 2nd appearance. Agutter appeared in many cult films like Walkabout and Logan’s Run.
- Then councilman Singh. Played by Bernard White. He appeared in the Matrix films, City Of Angels and more.
- Councilman Yen. Played by Chin Han. He appeared in The Dark Knight, Marco Polo and more.
Then we see Alexander Pierce. Played by Robert Redford.
There is a SHIELD agent named Alexander Pierce in the comics. He was a surveillance expert, spy and ally of Nick Fury. He’s character has changed a lot for the film.
Pierce first appeared in Nick Fury vs SHIELD #3 (August 1988). He was created by Bob Harris and Paul Neary.
Robert Redford is one of cinema’s great. So many great films – The Sting, All The President’s Men, Butch Cassidy And the Sundance Kid… and many more. Redford told IGN:
One of the reasons that I did [Captain America: The Winter Soldier] was I wanted to experience this new form of filmmaking that’s taken over where you have kind of cartoon characters brought to life through high technology. The Avengers series is a product of high technology playing a major role in the new order of filmmaking so I wanted to experience that—I just wanted to know what that was like and I had that opportunity, so for me it was like stepping into new terrain just to experience what it was like.
Fury asks Pierce to delay Project Insight.